with Justin Ogilvie
3rd – 10th May 2024
In this exciting course, you will learn how to create expressive portrait paintings with powerful realism, exciting brushwork, and bold colour!
Bringing together traditional and contemporary techniques, emphasis will be on achieving a likeness while experimenting with colour, glazing, texture, and mark-making.
In working from the live model and photo references, you will bring together naturalistic skin tones with high voltage colour, and develop a series of dynamic paintings.
The instructor works with you at your own pace, offering technical and creative guidance, along with demos, lectures, and slideshow presentations throughout the course.
In this friendly community of like-minded artists, you will experience heightened confidence and intuitive powers, opening the door to a whole new way of painting.
Included in the price is:
- all tuition fees
- 7 nights accommodation in luxury air-conditioned, en-suite rooms with: – see our rooms here
– luxury bedding
– high quality, 100% natural, Italian toiletries: shampoo, shower gel, body lotion and hand gel
– daily servicing of the rooms
– mid-week linen and towel change
– 100% cotton waffle robes & slippers
- All meals including breakfast, buffet lunch and a choice of up to 4 courses from our daily changing gourmet evening menu
- A ‘pizza-giro’ evening at a local trattoria within a few minutes walk of the hotel
- Delicious local wine with lunch and evening meal
- Private group transfers to and from either Ancona airport or Pedaso (station or bus stop)
- 5 days painting tuition including demonstrations and one-to-one advice and guidance
- Guided orientation walking tour of the medieval hill-top town of Montelparo on day of arrival
- 1 free day (lunch not included) with the option to take an excursion to the beautiful town of Ascoli Piceno, a Renaissance town full of history as well as fabulous boutique shops, charming cafes and one of Italy’s most beautiful piazzas
- Unlimited use of air-conditioned studio
- full-time staff on site including concierge service
Prices start from €2399 per person based on two people sharing a room.
To find out more fill out the form at the VERY bottom of the page.
Justin Ogilvie is a Vancouver based artist, educator, and co-founder of a new art school ‘Canvas Method – Contemporary Atelier’. He received a BFA from Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and a MFA from the University of Alberta.
For the past 25 years, he has actively taught and exhibited within numerous public and private institutions, is part of national and international art collections, and is the recipient of numerous awards.
Justin’s painting practice informs his teaching philosophy, which brings together traditional & contemporary approaches, focusing on technical skills in realism, creative experimentation in abstraction, as well as thematic and conceptual development.
His recent work explores the human figure through ‘disrupted realism’, pushing the boundaries of representation. Hybrid suggestions of bodies, cartoony presences, digital ghosts, and discreet painterly gestures are collapsed together within imaginary compositions.
Justin is a passionate, energetic and supportive instructor. No matter what stage you’re at, you can expect to learn quickly, break through barriers, and discover your own voice as an artist!