Gerry Dudgeon: Abstracting from the Landscape Painting Holiday
14th – 21st June 2024
Using sketchbook research and acrylics on canvas-board or paper
Painting Holiday with Gerry Dudgeon Course Details
The stunning location of Montelparo will provide the inspiration for our first painting where we will make sketchbook research using drawing materials and colour reference. The way that the stone architecture interacts visually with the panoramic landscape will be a key consideration of this course.
We return to the hotel studio to make abstract interpretations of our experiences, beginning each painting with a varied use of colours and marks, loosely applied to create an underpainting which forms the catalyst for development of the work. There will be ample time for a swim in the hotel pool and a rest after lunch.
Over the week Gerry will take the group out on excursions to other hilltop villages to make sketchbook research in preparation for further paintings. There will be opportunities to explore aspects of local culture while we’re out, so that we can absorb the atmosphere of Le Marche.
Gerry will demonstrate his approach and use of materials by working on canvases throughout the course, and will provide tailor-made tuition, so that each guest can develop their paintings in a relaxed and individual way.
Suitable for those who have had some experience of working with abstraction.
Included in the price is:
- All tuition fees
- 7 nights accommodation in air-conditioned, en-suite rooms in a luxurious palazzo with commanding views across the rolling hills of the Le Marche countryside to the coast – see our rooms here
- All meals including breakfast, buffet lunch and a choice of up to 4 courses from our daily changing gourmet evening menu
- A ‘pizza-giro’ evening at a local trattoria within a few minutes walk of the hotel
- Delicious local wine with lunch and evening meal
- Private group transfers to and from either Ancona airport or Pedaso (station or bus stop)
- 5 days painting tuition including demonstrations and one-to-one advice and guidance
- 3 days’ excursions to specially selected stunning locations
- Private transfers to and from painting locations
- Guided orientation walking tour of the medieval hill-top town of Montelparo on day of arrival
- 1 free day (lunch not included) with the option to take an excursion to the beautiful town of Ascoli Piceno, a Renaissance town full of history as well as fabulous boutique shops, charming cafes and one of Italy’s most beautiful piazzas
- Unlimited use of air-conditioned studio
- Easels, boards and portable stools and chairs
Prices start from €1999 per person based on two people sharing a room. To find out more about the different room types, pricing, how to get here and more fill out the form at the bottom of the page.
Bring a Partner or Friend
If you’d like to bring along a non-participating partner they too can experience our hospitality enjoying all the meals and excursions. If you’re wondering what else there is for them to do then find out just some of the options here.
About Gerry Dudgeon
Gerry Dudgeon exhibits professionally in the South West and London where he taught painting at Roehampton University for 20 years. He now runs short painting workshops from his Dorset studio and teaches residential painting courses in Dittisham, Devon and the Tarn, France.
His acrylic paintings are a response to the colour and culture of exotic places such as Morocco, India and Greece, the allure of French rivers and the rhythmic curves of Dorset and Devon landscapes. Gerry enjoys experimenting freely with paint, allowing his imagination to develop an idea in an improvised way, so the paintings are as much about picture making as they are about specific places.
The inspiration for his work comes from travels to India, Morocco, France and Greece as well as the landscape of West Dorset, and his paintings can be seen at www.gerrydudgeon.com